Of course there's always some excitement to keep things interesting.
A few hours before leaving I found out that I'm the Grand Winner of the annual Labor Day Duck Race! I bought five raffle tickets, picking 5 numbers for 5 ducks. We watched 3,000 ducks float in the River and my number, 392, was the picked duck! Here's the email floating around Nome today:
"The Rotary Duck Race Winners are as follows:
1st Place $1,500 Amy Flaherty
2nd Place $750 Richard Beneville
3rd Place Ella Lathim
Wild Duck KICY
It took the ducks quite a bit of time to make their way down the finish line. Some ducks went upstream and others hung around socializing.
All winners have been notified. Thanks to all of the Rotarian who made the event a success. Congrats to the winners!"
Thanks, lgt for help picking the best duck at the finish line! My KNOM boss, Ric, presented me the check AT the airport--how nuts is that? Well, it pays for my car to fly down to Anchorage. So I received Good byes AND Congratulations--even on the airplane itself by people who heard! Ha.
Andy picked us up and at home he had flowers and other thoughtful items waiting. Then the real surprise...if you read the last blog post, as Andy did, you'll appreciate that he had 54 clothes hangers in the closet for me! WOW!
It's all bittersweet excitement.
Moving along, today Mom and I get my bridesmaid dress altered for my brother's wedding.
*Amy
4 comments:
I am not surprised by the big turnout at the airport for you. You are loved by a lot of perople in Nome and you will be greatly missed. Glad it was so nice for you. On another note, luck must be running in the family. Tom split the grand prize at the rotary function in our old hometown too to the tune of 2500.00!
I knew Andy was special (I am just a bit prejudice), the flowers, that is something he would defintely do and that brought a smile to my face, but the hangers, I agree WOW, the brought tears to my eyes! Sometimes it is the little things people do that really make you realize that they are paying attention.
Glad you made it there safely, and I am glad your mom finally got to meet my son. I hope she enjoys her time with you both! Now, let the unpacking begin, YIKES!
I hope Andy can get away for a few day to enjoy a wedding and spend some quality time with Y O U!
:)
lgt
Just got done watching G4 and Tay. Got to watch some TV since we still don't have any and saw the trooper commercial. Nice work!
Hope all is well!
Just got your note in my mailbox. Freakin' made me tear up!!!! Thank you for all the kind words. Glad to hear you (and your mom) are safe in sound in Veep-land :)
Post a Comment