Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Other Farewells

Amy, Beth & Nikki finish a breakfast at the Polar Cub Cafe (note the NO SMOKING sign above Nikki--yeah!).

I'm not the only one saying goodbye to Nome (or preparing to...). At least 4 other 20-somethings I know (all friends) are leaving this month and next. There's always some comfort when you're "not the only one." Strength in numbers, you know? The good news is that most of us will be in the Anchorage area, or on the road system, so we can create our very own Nome sub-group (although others already exist). Today I said goodbye to Beth. She taught high school math for the last two years here and is now headed to Soldotna on the beautiful Kenai Peninsula. 

A great group of gals solidified once Beth and some other teacher friends fired up our town during teacher inservice 2006! Beth came from MN where she graduated from Duluth--we connected fairly early on. She will be missed by us but I expect we'll plan fun journeys for occasional visits. Wasilla to Soldotna is surely a 3-4 hour long drive. But, heck, it's not a snowmachine or dog-sled trip (though that would be exciting).

It seems an Exodus has begun and my turn is not too far away.
(by the way, omelet breakfasts at the Polar are a-okay!)
*Amy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found you...I found you. Ok, I'm going to bookmark you and keep checking in when you settle into your new home!

Anonymous said...

Love the blog idea - yet another way to keep in touch! Good luck with all of your "last times" in Nome!