Friday, August 15, 2008

"Special" Parts


I bought my first ivory carving (not as a gift). I couldn't resist the purchase while in Savoonga earlier this month. More about that later, but I want to share WHAT it is........an OOSIK.

Anyone familiar with THAT?? Here's a poem to help you out:






ODE TO AN OOSIK
Strange things have been done in the Midnight Sun,
and the story books are full---
But the strangest tale concerns the male,
magnificent walrus bull!

I know it's rude, quite common and crude,
Perhaps it is grossly unkind;
But with first glance at least, this bewhiskered beast,
is as ugly in front as behind.

Look once again, take a second look--then
you'll see he's not ugly or vile--
There's a hint of a grin, in that blubbery chin--
and the eyes have a shy secret smile.

How can this be, this clandestine glee
that exudes from the walrus like music?
He knows, there inside, beneath blubber and hide
lies a splendid contrivance--the Oosik!

"Oosik" you say--and quite well you may,
I'll explain if you keep it between us;
In the simplest truth, though rather uncouth
"Oosik" is, in fact, his penis!

Now the size alone of this walrus bone,
would indeed arouse envious thinking--
It is also a fact, documented and backed,
There is never a softening or shrinking!

This, then, is why the smile is so sly,
the walrus is rightfully proud.
Though the climate is frigid, the walrus is rigid,
Pray, why, is not man so endowed?

Added to this, is a smile you might miss---
Though the bull is entitled to bow--
The one to out-smile our bull by a mile
is the satisfied walrus cow!
(Anonymous)

Yep, I bought us one of them "bones." It's really cool as you can see. Baleen (bowhead whale
 "teeth-filters") pieces join ivory on both sides and were shaped into a polar bear and seal head.  The manner in which I purchased the Oosik was unique, I believe. Knowing I was headed to Savoonga and soon leaving Western Alaska, I brought some cash for this very reason. We were approached by carvers ASAP upon arriving to the village. They find you anywhere and show items for sale. The market to sell their crafts is, well, limited. 

One winter I went to Savoonga and stayed at the school. I was shown which classroom I would sleep in and no later than 30 seconds were carvers already in that room asking me to buy lovely things.

This last trip was no different. Then, a teenager or young adult I recognized immediately from a
school event years ago showed us a couple pieces. His price for the Oosik was higher than I brought with me. I told him as much but offered what I had. He came back later and said, "Okay, I'll give it to you for that much." I wasn't 100% sure I even wanted it at that point, but pinched myself to say, "It's a carved Oosik!" I asked the guy if he was okay for settling on the
price and his response was, "Yeah, I need to buy groceries."
That settled it.

And that's the story of our walrus penis bone!

*Amy

No comments: