Saturday, August 16, 2008

Helping Hands

THANK YOU, GREATLY:

Judy, Jodi, Georgia, Tom, Pauline, Liz, Eric, Mom, and most of all, ANDY.

All these wonderful people have used their hands, time and Alaska Airlines tickets to bring down my stuff via checked bags for FREE. Most often Andy tracked them down on the other side, collected bags & boxes and is storing them at the house until I'm down. I have counted 15 AK Air trips helping me move from Nome to Wasilla--that includes Mom and myself on the last flight out!! This means I will use the Post Office only twice, maybe three times to send a few personal items via snail mail. What a savings! Again, it took willingness, creativity, strong arms and carts at the airport to make this happen. Thank you!

The latest round of these shipments happened Saturday morning. This is the usual scene at the terminal:
I'm labeling boxes to check under Pauline's name (she was traveling to Anchorage for just a day and had no bags), and Andy would collect them in the airport because he was on the same flight...of course, loaded with more of my things and his own. He actually checked some precious cargo too that I'll let him share. After Andy somehow loads two large duffle bags, 3 boxes, his heavy precious cargo and a plant...he drives today to Tom's house near the airport to collect six more boxes of my things. At some point he'll have to bring ALL that from the truck into the house. 

What's in some of these boxes? Two bridesmaid dresses to wear next month, wine glasses, a coffee grinder, fishing gear, clothes, hanging pictures, Pampered Chef supplies, and on and on.
Whew! THANK YOU, ANDY!

We did poorly capturing pictures while Andy was in town. But he and I did go blueberry picking. A nice Friday night, less than an hour of time, a little kneeling on tundra, and VOILA! Berries! Future jars of jam right here:
Some loot, producing a few stains on my pants:
Well, here's to moving within Alaska pound for pound...out like a whimper, rather than a bang! 
Made possible through the kind hearts of good friends.

*Amy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are almost done with packing, I bet it is a big relief. Glad you were able to get some berry picking done, I can almost taste that good blueberry jam of yours. Love the pictures and the stories and that Andy was able to get to Nome to share some time with you and the family. Time is ticking away, enjoy the last few weeks, stay safe!