Les and Paula have been part of my Alaskan life since day...two, I'd say. Les was the retired, part-time engineer of KNOM when I arrived as a cheechako. He humorously speculated whether I'd make it through my volunteer year or not. Well, we've been Alaskan family members for 6 1/2 years now. In that time they moved back for awhile to their old haunt of California, where I was able to make a visit, and now they're ultimately settled in Palmer, AK. That's great because now that I live in Wasilla, we're practically neighbors!
The Matunska-Susitna Valley (Mat-Su, or just the "Valley") is primarily made up of Wasilla & Palmer. Many people appreciate Palmer for its actual downtown based in its frontier, homesteading roots. Wasilla is fine, but spread-out with box stores and dealerships lining the highway. It's probably an average 20 minute drive between our homes.
Well, the Brown's always sniff out adventures and good times so I knew I should take their invitation to join them for a fireworks display this holiday weekend. The owner of a Palmer hair salon pumps mucho money (like $15-20K we guessed) into an annual kaboom fest that begins every year on the minute he's born (11/29 at 7:19pm)! The neat part was the Winter Weather Advisory we experienced, so gobs of movie-quality snow blanketed the Valley.
Gobs of people also gathered at the City Centre and I swear to goodness it was a wholesome American hour. Families started snow fights under the old train station's platform. Kids were dressed to the gills in snow gear. Kids also threw themselves every which way into the snow. Laughter was heard all around and dogs danced in their leashes among the semi-plowed streets. We cleared an area around the statue of the famous sled dog, Balto.

Out of nowhere an ambitious 18-month old boy decided to try walking through snow nearly as high as him. He squealed, "DAAA!" with delight as he eyed Balto and decided to get to the statue no matter what.

Once he got there, with the help of mom, Les kept watch that he'd maintain his upright stance.

Then the fireworks began! Fireworks during an Alaskan winter are really enjoyed since we can't have a normal 4th of July display, on account of the daylight. This show was well worth it!

People cheered and whistled throughout the 1/2 hour pyro show. Afterward, my mukluks took me through the fresh powder and families gathered to go home. Snowmen appeared out of nowhere. The warm temps., a lack of wind, and good, familiar company made it a perfect outdoor night.
*Amy
No comments:
Post a Comment