
Although Alaska lags time-wise in voting activities, our day started early. Andy was back on "Dignitary Duty" around one am. "According to" an Anchorage Daily News reporter, a horde of secret service agents and troopers (Andy) were at the Ted Stevens International Airport waiting for our Governor's arrival. She wore jeans and a black fleece and was whisked into the motorcade returning her to Wasilla. As her polling place opened, she cast her ballot and now Andy & Crew will bring her back to the airport where she'll head for Arizona. Andy took great care of his car, uniform, etc. last night for this responsibility.
On my commute into Anchorage I watched ongoing traffic intensely for a glimpse of the convoy but I think we missed each other on the highway by 15 minutes or less.
I had some early morning election action myself! On the curvy, light less several mile drive from the house (my driving is an entirely different blog post!), the brights on the RAV4 spooked an antler less moose (slight build) who hopped around but barely stayed in the brush lining my side of the road. Whew! Glad it wasn't any closer to the pavement!
Today is simply amazing. Call me sappy but I get tears in my eyes thinking about this historic day. Listening to NPR, I heard a woman working a Lower 48 polling place excitedly describe the high number of young, first-time voters buzzing with their opportunity! Isn't that amazing?!
In Alaska we get a double-dose of importance. Not only the presidential campaign, the fate of Palin, but our 30-year plus congressional delegation may never return to Congress because of corruption. Anyone who would share their voting behavior with me has said they will not return Ted Stevens to D.C. But the guy's support is visible. Even this morning I'm seeing more of his 2008 billboard prominently displayed. Many people have roped down the large Ted Billboard in the bed of their truck and drive around or park it around high traffic areas. The supporters are loyal.
With my move to Wasilla, I have returned to commercial radio and TV (I had no hook up in Nome), and therefore, exposure to gazillions of political ads. If you're the guy trying to take over the longest serving U.S. Senator who's recently been convicted, you gotta play a smart and tight campaign. I think Anchorage Mayor Mark Begich has done it brilliantly. The more aggressive ads against Stevens have come from the Alaska Democratic Party, I think, rather than Begich (but he never denounced them either). I respect what Marky Mark has accomplished this season. It will not be easy to vote against Ted (because I've voted for him since moving to AK), but this guy is a good person to turn the tide. We'll also see how Representative Don Young fares (hopefully not well).
Anyway, I'm electrified for Elections and the Alaska polls have been open for a half hour. Andy and I will respectfully enjoy our political differences tonight and I'll make an online video-audio Skype call to my Party supporters gathered in Nome. Can't wait to see the excitement at the Old Discovery! Maybe today is the end of Andy's Palin escort service. Who knows? If so, he'll get to drink beer again (no longer on call)!
Remember, vote and get free coffee at Starbucks!
May the best candidates win.
*Amy
No comments:
Post a Comment