Thursday, October 2, 2008

Employed!

Breaking news! I have a job! It took one month from leaving Nome and going on two Lower 48 trips, but I'll be working again as of Monday afternoon.

I am the Youth Program Coordinator for RurAL CAP, based in Anchorage. It's a brand-new position for the state's largest private, non-profit organization, Rural Alaska Community Action Program. It's a different line of work for me, but one that also strives to benefit the people of Alaska's smallest communities.

I'll be working with ten AmeriCorps sites that benefit the local youth. In facilitating these programs, coordinating their training and managing their volunteer involvement, I'll get to make site visits throughout a program's calendar year. Who knows where my Alaskan travels will continue to take me?? There are other responsibilities to the job, which is based in RurAL CAP's Community Development Division. 

I believe it's a great fit considering I came to Alaska as a two-year AmeriCorps member, have rural travel & knowledge under my belt and experience with youth in my three years part-time at Nome's Youth Facility.

I found the job posting just before the Midwest vacation and actually held a phone interview while enjoying Michigan's UP. This week when I returned to Alaska, I met with the interviewers in person. That's the reason I dressed up the other day:
Andy got back into work after a long hiatus too. He only partially dressed up to drop in at his Trooper post. What a poser!So I gotta make the Valley to City commute. Without traffic it's 45 mins. one-way. Compare that to the three minutes I biked to work in Nome. Luckily, the job is downtown with easy access in and out of the city for my straight shot home. I may look into a Ride Share program too. My cousins wisely suggested audio books!

Soon I will be a contributing member to society again. I'll let you know how it goes!
Btw-when I make a paycheck again I'll become a contributor to KNOM, in addition to a friend of the mission. Consider doing the same!

*Amy

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Good choice on the suit!

Anonymous said...

Woah, look at you all dressed up. Lookin good....

Can't wait to hear about how your job goes.

löki gale said...

A-

That is awesome! Rural Cap (I know there are upper and lower cases and now I am forgetting which) - is a wonderful organization!

Good luck!

lgt

Nikki said...

Wow! I am pretty sure I have never seen that car look so shiny! There must be a car wash where you are. Ahh, civilization a reason to wash your car and wear a suit. Enjoy :)

Amy&AndyinAlaska said...

The RAV4 has never seen a legit car wash. It's just that, in civilization we drive on paved roads, not dirt or mud ones ! :)