Sunday, October 5, 2008

Yes, We Can!

My Nome friend, Carol, flew down to attend an Obama rally in downtown Anchorage on Saturday. I had to join her! 

I'm not intending to push my agenda here, but rather, I want to show how great it is to get involved with the (political) process whatever you stance(s).

We had so much fun and I left inspired. The local NBC-affiliate reported 1200 people gathered for Obama and 300 gathered for a McCain-Palin rally with Todd and Piper. That's a lot of people motivated to create a host of creative, witty and poignant signs, although it felt a little like preaching to the choir. 
 
Our friend, Tom, took many photos of the supporters milling about. Check them out forstimulation or amusement (they satisfy both). Besides our participation, it was nice to spend the day with Carol. We even grooved to a live performance by Alaska award-winning group, Pamyua. Our Russian-themed messages garnered smiles and some attention (the backside of my poster said, "Nome to Russia: Been There, Done That") and my Wasilla sign attracted random media. I was interviewed by press in Holland, CNN-Spain and a few others. I prefer asking the questions rather than answering, but it was fun to consider "Who's Joe-Six Pack and does he live in Wasilla?"

Again, the point is to get inspired by what you believe, respect the opinions of others, but get proactive at such an important time. The weather was chilly here this weekend (and included sleet and snow) but I felt fired up! And that's really cool. Thanks for posting the pics, Bunger!
 
By the way, Carol also clued me in to Skype. Do you have a web cam and microphone? Then download the application and we can talk for free while hearing and looking at each other with the computer (I have a MacBook). It's so cool! We test drove its use (thanks Jim) and I would love to chat with others (FOR FREE) this way. Let me know if you Skype-it and you can give me kudos or a hard-time for my rally behavior!

*Amy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You better sit next to me during Thanksgiving and Christas dinners.
Nice work.
G2