Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Gathering Place

Last week, Anchorage hosted the Alaska Federation of Natives (AFN) annual convention, the largest gathering of Alaska Natives. It's a well-anticipated event, reunion and productive time for Alaska's First People. I covered the convention for the radio the last 4 years and it felt a bit odd not spending every waking moment in the mix of things. I also felt the release and anticipation of enjoying the social side with many friends in town. So last weekend I went "AFNing," which is apparently a verb for associated activities! I packed up and left Andy in Wasilla for the weekend. It was great to spend time again with well-known characters--thanks guys! 

I didn't stop there, though. I traveled further to gorgeous Girdwood (yes, the town where Senator Stevens' illegally renovated home is located), a true ski and snowboarding town. The reason was something I looked forward to for months...quality girl time with Nikki and Beth.

I say months because it was this summer that we ladies agreed to meet at the Alyeska Ski Resort where Nikki would attend an event. Beth since moved to Soldotna and me to Wasilla so this was a reunion after a few months apart. Funny thing is that two years ago the three of us traveled to Anchorage (and stayed at Andy's condo before I even met him!) and went skiing at Alyeska. That is a crazy story so ask me if you want to here more! It seemed appropriate that we-three would go back together, but from all different directions.

You can't beat great company, dinner at the Double Musky, awesome scenery and a plush hotel. Thanks ladies--I miss you all the time!

Alaska's a big state but as many of us will tell you, it's a small world around here (small population helps). (point proven: I just learned that one of the other new employees at work graduated from the same high school as me, but four years later! Small world.)

If you fly, drive, mush or snowmachine anywhere near South Central, I'll do all I can to meet you for a quality visit.

It was strange to be away from Andy again so we reverted to our old behaviors of phone calls and text messages. I was pretty happy driving home again Sunday afternoon.

*Amy

No comments: