Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Bulls Eye!

The wonderful, Midwest-based retail store, Target, arrived in Alaska a week ago, and YES, I've been there twice. It was glorious. I grew up going to Target for back-to-school, outfitting my first dorm room, last minute Christmas gifts, wedding registries, or just browsing aimlessly with friends while eating a soft pretzel. It's like a little home whenever I walk through a store's front, automatic doors. And that's just the feeling I got when I entered the brand-new Wasilla branch.A few years ago it was learned through Target HQ in Minneapolis (I may have some friends who work there...) that the store wanted to expand to the 49th state. Later, it was announced that Alaska would get two stores: one in Anchorage and one in the Valley. I couldn't have timed my move from Nome any better! I even kept a shopping list of items I would wait to buy from the store with the catchy Bulls Eye (new shower caddy, bathroom clock, etc.). According to Target's website, they built the sidewalks around Alaska's stores with heated concrete so the ice and snow can melt easier. Brilliant! Good for the environment?

The "soft" opening was last Wednesday and both parking lots have been packed to the gills ever since. My first shopping trip was Saturday with former Nome friend, Beth. I went BACK for the Grand Opening Sunday. The weather was less than inviting, but the "See Spot Save" aisle in front was mighty inviting for spending!
A couple of observations and criticisms, however. When looking at a shirt, Beth pointed out the price sticker on the tag. Peel the sticker off and you reveal a printed price around $3 cheaper! Alaska is getting a mark-up of around 20-25% for all purchases! Now, I realize shipping costs are factored into everything Up here, but the Target prices were a bit high and may even dissuade me from frequent visits (sigh). The Target I always knew and loved did not sell a pair of dress socks for $7.10.

Second, no special promotions or events were offered during the Grand Opening! I was bummed about that because I had to navigate serious traffic among newly-designed plastic carts. With all the money I, and others, spent, you'd think Target could have sprung for free stickers, a scary clown or anything noteworthy.

So what's a conscientious shopper to do with Fred Meyer, Super Wal*Mart and now Target all at her disposal (not to mention Carrs-Safeway and Sears)?? Well, I can shop based on corporate and social policies. But I may have go to Wal*Mart when I truly want the bottom deal, Fred's for when I have a combo list of groceries and household items, and Target for special durables and a nice selection of decorative or apparel needs.

What silly thoughts I have since moving from a town where only Subway never disappointed! 

*Amy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny you should blog about this...I was just talking with Gretchen about Target. When you mentioned Target on the phone the other night, I wasn't so sure why you were so excited about it. I thought you just really loved the store. Then Gretchen brought up today that it brand new to Anchorage and the Valley. Suddenly it clicked...I would have been more excited for you the other night but I didn't understand...