Wednesday, July 1, 2009

AK vacation & AK wedding

Taking the time to enjoy a vacation in this amazing state doesn't happen enough, in my opinion. Months ago I was thrilled to learn my dear college friends were planning a vacation around our friends' AK wedding...because that meant I would also explore and play! That week fell during Andy's annual two-week training in Fairbanks, so sadly he couldn't join us.

Our big CSB/SJU reunion started in Southcentral during my birthday, and then caravanned north to Denali, my first time. Thankfully, while in Talkeetna, North America's largest mountain was in plain site!
Our stay in Denali, along the Nenana River, was excellent, including the weather. The red cabin on rock treated our 9-person group well.

For the adventure side of things, we took on the river with white-water rafting. The guide seemed to play mind games by saying, "yesterday we barely made it through this next rapid with 9 of us...so,with only six of us...well, we'll see what happens." It worked and we paddled heartily, thinking our lives in danger!
Also, some nice hiking in Denali National Park to Horseshoe Lake.
In addition to some quality before-and-after Denali hosting in Wasilla, the next portion of the week break was on the Kenai Peninsula in Seward. Andy drove down from Fairbanks in one day, joining the Bachelor party in time while I hosted the Bachelorette shindig. He also went on a halibut charter to provide us with fish and before we all knew it, Jodi and Graham's (living in Anchorage) wedding arrived! I was honored to stand as Maid of Honor.

Their officiant was a good pal who also graduated college with us, and Graham's brother was Best Man. The ceremony and reception were hosted at the Groom's parents' home.
Below: my college roommates, otherwise known as Chubbies! We see each other all-together about once a year--at a wedding. Guess who's the last one of the group? :)Here's proof that Andy & I saw each other a little bit in June!I really enjoyed my other dancing partner though. He's Jodi's youngest nephew and we tore up Billie Jean, before we could know M. Jackson's fate: "The Kid is Not My Son!"Congrats to the long-time, new couple! They outdid themselves. We were so spoiled having so many friends up here. Our homes always remain open to you!*Amy

No comments: