Hello and happy first full week of summer!
The Youth Track combined cultural speakers, outdoor activities, training for some in the morning (provided by yours truly), discussions, games and a couple tours at the U.S.'s largest operational Coast Guard base. This is a C-130 we explored.
From the big Coast Guard items to the little details:
The conference included Kodiak hospitality and performances from local groups. There was a neat culture share/open mic night and some of my participating youth got in on the action. Here's one of my younger guys Eskimo dancing with an elder from St. Mary's.
I think it was a great experience for everyone, especially me. Most of my youth leaders below, with some AmeriCorps Members!
Our 2010 conference will be in Kodiak next June too. Glad for the first year under my belt!
It's been awhile for Wasilla news which means it's been a busy and satisfying June. Andy & I were apart for nearly 3 weeks given separate work obligations, and I also enjoyed a week with many visiting college friends who traveled for a wonderful Alaska wedding last weekend (my friends, Jodi & Graham). We're finally settled home--together.
My big work week was spent in Kodiak from June 1-5. RurAL CAP co-hosts a sobriety and wellness conference every year (Rural Providers' Conference) and this was the first year that an organized Youth Track was included. Guess who coordinated it? It's been a major responsibility of mine for some time, including having statewide youth plan & attend it. I'm pleased to say it went well! Also included long days, the usual logistical and content-based stress, but some fun as well.
I was gifted a couple wonderful tokens at the week's end, which meant so much as everything wound down. One gift is the Eskimo name, "Mamaaq," named for a strong grandmother in the village of Selawik.
We had usual Kodiak weather (fog and rain), but also one very nice day (our last one!) for lots of walking and camera action. I guess the Cornelia Marie from "The Deadliest Catch" was docked during our week but I never saw it. Here, though, is the Tustamena--a ship in the Alaska Marine Ferry system.
*Amy
No comments:
Post a Comment