Monday, June 8, 2009

Best of Beards

A great way to spend part of the Memorial Day weekend was to attend a once-in-a-lifetime event: The World Beard and Mustache Championships. It's hosted every two years, and in 2009, the second time EVER in the U.S., Anchorage had the honor of this distinguished event. Andy & I were there to marvel at the international level of competition. Facial hair took over the city and I even ran into and met the defending (and still reining) full beard champion of the world, Jack Passion!

We studied the categories out of the program guide:
And then we enjoyed the judging action.Front and back "English Mustache" competitor from Florida:Midnight Sun Brewing Co. crafted a special beer to mark the occasion. It tasted good, not furry.At times it was like entering another time period.This next guy traveled from Australia, I think. The U.S. had the largest contingent and Germany followed close behind.
Many Alaskans took home top prizes; we were proud. The next Championship is in Norway, 2011. I doubt Andy's line of work will allow him to start preparing his entry!

*Amy

No comments: