Now that I've lost the distinction of living in bush Alaska I'm learning that many of my preconceptions about the 49th state's urbanites are kinda off. Today was a great case in point. For all the nasty weather Nome endures and the resiliency of residents to push through the coastal winds and blizzards, Alaskans in the Valley or Anchorage are pretty darn tough too.
Earlier this week we enjoyed coastal-like winds with 40mph gusting against the house, and especially hitting the side of the RAV4 as I danced upon miles and miles of black glare ice. Today, though, snow fell to cover and disguise that nasty ice (but it's still there).
My commute home this evening took 2 hrs. & 15 minutes. That's double than usual. Total commute time today was 3 hrs. 25 minutes. Thankfully, I only drove about 25 minutes of it. I've been meaning to blog about the Ride Share/vanpool I joined but I forget my camera on the days the studded-tire van is clean (a stipulation of our driver!). So I hunkered down in the van's back bench seat, occupied with my laptop, a magazine or sleeping. The traffic was terribly slow going on the Glenn Highway and at one point we all watched a car slide sideways on the other side, until it thankfully righted itself and was given wide berth by fellow drivers.
When we "landed" at our meeting spot in the back of Wasilla's Wal Mart, another surprise awaited my day--a good snow covering on and around the RAV4. About 4 inches has fallen since last night. And I was wearing heels, sunk into the new snow as I cleared my car. Fun stuff. Tough?
Maybe it was just simple in Nome--less driving, less traffic and mukluks, not high heels. But the attitudes and toughness I see around here (especially the driving) has started to melt my previous ideas. Alaskans are just cool, go with it and adapt kind-of-people no matter where we're at.
Some of us just need to get a little smarter and switch out the heels back in the office before venturing outside to the wilds of the city.
*Amy
3 comments:
:)
I think about it too...being here in AZ a lot of people have gotten tired of me saying, "that's really not that cold."
I have forgotten what heels are :)
Mukluks have replaced any normalcy I used to know. It is nice to hear about urban life.
I LOVE how the snow doesn't ruin your style! You go, girl! Love...megs
Post a Comment