How about some R-E-S-P-E-C-T?
While en route to Alaska from MN today I'll share what took place in Sitka earlier this month. Well, I should back up a bit. Last fall I joined the local Choose Respect Mural committee. It fit in line with some projects through work and I thought it would be great to meet and get involved with Sitkans this way. The mural project addresses domestic violence and sexual assault through positive action and creative, artistic expression. Alaska has horribly high rates for these areas, and "Choose Respect" comes from the Governor's initiative to address these serious issues. After nearly a year of work by the committee, the hired lead artists came to town to paint the design derived and created through community engagement projects we organized during the year, along with heavy school involvement and more.
The most awesome thing about the actual painting, as proposed by our lead artist, Eliseo Art Silva of CA, was its paint by number system---to get the community painting and contributing, and get a lot of work done in a week's time! I was thrilled to learn the paints were non-toxic, water-based acrylic so I wouldn't miss out on the fun, connection and contribution. From our sign-in sheets I tallied over 178 volunteers gave 600 hours to bring the design In Living Color!
Here it is with all 18 panels combined, as shown on www.artchangeinc.org:
Let's break it down:
Like a topographical, camouflaged map with paint by numbers for grown ups!
I'm awfully proud of the painting effort, and myself, tried to be there every day to pitch in. It will be installed on the outside of the middle school, a visible spot within town. Our dedication and unveiling will be on Oct. 1 to commemorate Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Awareness month.
MORE on this, with good interviews by the local public radio station, and talented reported, Ed Ronco!
http://kcaw.org/modules/local_news/index.php?op=centerBlock&ID=1309
*Amy




No comments:
Post a Comment