Sunday, August 7, 2011

Rough Days

Two weeks ago my old friend Lee flew up to Sitka from Portland to help me understand the finer details Sitka's waters. He just happened to fish here for many summers in a past lifetime. I of course, was all ears and eager to get his knowledge in my head (and GPS). The king salmon have found my line many times this but I hadn't yet given the halibut my attention. That changed with Lee's arrival. With a few pointers, the right gear, and a couple of secret spots, we pulled some halibut onto the Cajun Queen. The largest measured 61" long, which according to the book, weighed in at 114.8 lbs. I didn't have a scale, but my old arms could barely hold this fish up (don't let my smile fool you, I was struggling). This momma halibut head shook, dove, and made for an extremely fun catch. My first 100+ halibut, dynamite.



The king salmon and silver salmon fishing was pretty good as well. Strangely, it was easier to hook into a chinook than it was to find a coho. I'd imagine that has changed now that we are into August. It's probably time to get back out on the water to confirm. This king wasn't gigantic, but plenty legal for the freezer. Until next year Lee. Good times.






3 comments:

Judy said...

Wow, those are some big fish! Impressive.

Nikki said...

Great post Andy! Nice to see you contributing to the family as a provider and documentarian. Glad you had some rewarding and deserved time off.

Butter said...

It isn't nice to brag! Just kidding, make sure you have all the hot spots marked for the time we eventually make it out there.