We were very happy to have friends visiting us from out of state during our first anniversary. July 3rd brought back wonderful memories; I wish we could do it all over again and have so many special people with us in Alaska! Our priest, Fr. Bill, said during the ceremony's talk that we were just starting to write our book together and we've certainly tacked on a couple of chapters this year. New town, new home, new job descriptions, new friends, new boat, and now, future baby. It's been a great year, babe, I love you!
The traditional first anniversary gift is "paper," so we took that into consideration and have decided to pick out together a small print for the home, most likely in Southeast stylings (landscape or culture). We shopped around town last Sunday but haven't honed in an anything yet. I like this mission of ours.
In addition to a fun Mexican dinner downtown and eating some more at the 4th of July booths, I think the big excitement was defrosting and experimenting with the top layer of our wedding cake! Our cake lady didn't charge for the top level as her standard "gift to the couple," and we knew we wanted it in the vanilla with strawberry filling. A short trip down memory-lane to the cake in its prime just as we were about to feed one another.
The next day, the 4th, the mothers kindly wrapped it up tightly, threw some freezer wrap over it, and later on it traveled with our frozen goods from Wasilla to Sitka. Last weekend I unwrapped a fishy-smelling package and discovered that our "birch tree" looking cake now resembled a disturbing mossy green color/tree.
Our friends and Andy were convinced this was a plan of grossness and failure. I just had to believe that Verda's Cake and Things would survive a one-year test. If it was going to taste bad, at least we'd have nice presentation using our wedding cake cutter and champagne flutes.
Andy was a good sport and we toasted the occasion!
And lo and behold, it was delicious! See, good things stand the test of time, eh? We both had two slices and have been munching on it for dessert all week. The only thing that's really changed from last year to this year is the sparking apple cider replacing real champagne in our glasses.
Thanks for the remembrances and well wishes! Does this mean we're not considered newlyweds anymore??
*Amy

1 comment:
I think you can still be newlyweds. I sometimes think that Zeb and I are still newlyweds, it is always fun to keep learning about each other and keep finding those special surprises about the other person that makes you never forget why you love them.
Post a Comment