The Gorns and Viators found a great location for the big parade Monday afternoon. The Sitka Fine Arts Camp (expressive and creative students from around the State gathered here for a portion of their summer) brought tears to my eyes (of mirth and merriment) with their music, frenzy and crazy costumes.
Some floats expressly showed the Southeast lifestyle.
Some floats gave more candy than I've ever seen--and not just tootsie rolls but full out mini-candy bars like a rainfall from Halloween. This picture doesn't cover it but the frenzy and movement of kids after this showering was hilarious! Notice the two boys exchanging goods near the bottom of this picture.
And while wildfires are real and a danger in Alaska, Southeast's rainforests are not at risk. Nonetheless, I appreciated seeing Smokey the Bear pay a visit! Last time I saw him must have been 15 or more years ago in MN....forest protection life treats him well apparently.
And to show some final fun special to Sitka's 4th....what I've heard is the annual and anticipated fly-by of Coast Guard helicopters (pretty sweet to see), and a water fight between the local Fire Dept. and the CG Fire Dept. In addition to the rain, 3,000 gallons of water was pumped out for this spectacle!
1 comment:
Love the firemen's game with the keg!
Post a Comment