
The Cable House, downtown, is a historical building hosting
KCAW Public Radio upstairs and the yummy Larkspur Cafe downstairs.
I picked up a part-time job that I trained for and have done 4 days a week for these past 4 weeks. Who could imagine enjoying a 5:30-9am shift so much? Well, I totally did as the time was spent in the local radio station anchoring and hosting the Morning Edition news shift. It's on a substitute only basis for when one of the two Newsies is out. It was an exciting time to join the Raven News team as one morning we were on tsunami alert (that qualifies as a big radio event!), completely switched on-air studios once a complete renovation finished (what a privilege to be one of the first people to ever work a new board!), conducted live interviews with Alaska's Writer Laureate, talked about the State of Sitka's Economy, questioned high school students, and more. Technology failed and technology worked. I had a fairly comprehensive training under many different scenarios. That's radio--never a dull moment. Once I forgot to read the sunrise/sunset schedule even though I had it written down right in front me. The phone then rang and a "hit-n-run" call mentioned the slip. I was asked by callers to pronounce Sitka as Sit-kuh, not Sicka (as many Midwesterners do, I'm told). I also felt pretty good that I picked up training rather quickly in general. I was given much support. Radio: always fresh and changing, and part our daily life. I felt like I began chipping away at 2.5 years of radio/interview rust build up. Loved it--even the early hours.
It helped that Andy and I had to wake at 4:30am together! Yes, he'd get ready for Physical Training with the Academy recruits and I'd drive downtown to KCAW. While driving past the Academy I sometimes caught him and the guys running in the dark. Or, the whole crew would be indistinguishable standing in the front parking lot warming up. Again, this is at 5:20am! I never saw this part of his work day before, naturally because I'd be in bed.
And then I continued the rest of the day giving 8.5 hours to my regular job, and then 2 or 2+ hours in play rehearsal at night. Andy and I saw each other for lunch, dinner, and....well, that's it. But what fulfilling days!!
So these last 4 weeks pumped up our schedule load. It reminds me of a packed Costco cart. Pushed to the limit for loading bulk items, straining against the metal wires. It's full of groceries that will be needed or enjoyed for a long time to come. It takes some gas out of your checking account as you front load paying for all the goodness, but the pay out will continue beyond the shopping trip. Well, we've jam-packed our days with really positive stuffs, and it takes some gas out of our energy, but the involvement, good times and memories certainly pays out after that.
I think I'm going to give myself a pedicure tonight as a reward!
*Amy
2 comments:
You live such a full, interesting, fun-filled life, enjoy every moment! Miss you guys...
Can you post links of your radio gigs? Would love to hear the latest news of Sitka...told by Amy in the a.m.!
Megs
Post a Comment