Saturday, April 23, 2011

Dem Birds

Morning perch, seen through bathroom window
Spring awakenings and life has us swept us into a state of renewal, as hosted by Southeast AK. One area of life, or wildlife, to showcase is the abundant activity of our winged friends overhead, playing in the sky and feeding on fishies returning to these waters. Eagles, ravens and seagulls choke the trees, beaches, roofs or play in the breeze taunting us with their liberation.

It seems most Southeasterners eyeball or even document by photo an image of 30 eagles holding court, their heads like suspended golf balls among branches. I was awfully excited to spot a single bald eagle through the bathroom window one morning, or the one we happened upon while walking about. What simple amateurs we were, until we too came to expect them flying around our house with regularity and in high number.

The seagulls are great in volume and bulk as they swirl over water and coastline. I thought I was quite original one day to declare Sitka should have a Bird Poop threat level, but then I heard the common joke that it's the time of year to wear a hat for insurance!

So in honor of God's creatures who share our town and threaten us with their over head droppings this time of year, here are some pictures in the spirit of "Finding Nemo" and "mine! mine! mine!"

What has Amy spotted??
That's right, another eagle!
This video, taken a couple of weeks ago down by the harbor, clearly shows who's in control of this territory:

Like I said, watch your head!

*Amy

1 comment:

Judy said...

Love the video, plenty of birds in Sitka. Does their return signal start of fishing season?!