Saturday, April 24, 2010

Venetie

A few weekends ago, as I'm sure Midwest lawns greened up and the tulips bloomed, I went on a work site visit to a wonderful village north of Fairbanks (one hour bush airline ride up).

The trip was timed during Spring Carnival, which is always a fun time. Warm and light enough outside for all sorts of activities, but with enough snow and cold to allow for late season sled dog races! My Member was super busy the entire weekend making Navajo Tacos to raise money for the teens. She's responsible for getting the Youth Center opened and operating, which is awesome.
So while I worked and hung out with the program in the Youth Center, I also got to check out Carnival events. Throughout the days a bonfire roared outside the Community Hall and I couldn't help but talk to the guys at the fire about their roasting delicacy...caribou heads.Later, I tasted some caribou bone marrow. Here are just some village life photos I took on a glorious and friendly Saturday. First up are competitors in the Women's "Tea Making Contest." Boil water for your cup of tea but starting your own fire first, the fastest.This Church is the only remaining structure at the old village site, down by the Chandalar River. Over time and due to flooding, the current village moved up the bluffs and is now protected. I thought the building was really interesting. A quartet of teenage girls threw me on a four-wheeler with them to show the frozen river. I think they were amused by my interest in this structure representing another time.

Now, here are a couple of videos about other happenings...the start of a dog race and then part of the "Rope Dance" during a nightly fiddle dance. The dance went for hours and was such fun. What I really loved is that the youth in my program were NOT too cool for the dances and everyone got into group dancing, jigging, and other energetic dancing! I was one of the judges for the "Twist" contest.

The smell of a fire was in the air, and sawdust & wood chips covered most paths. Something I just love about Venetie is the log homes.The amazing thing about these log homes is that everyone built them at some point. Isn't it amazing to say you built the shelter for your family?! I found one house that is on its way...
It was nice to be in Athabascan country. Can't wait to go back some day.

*Amy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome pictures and videos, Ames! Caribou bone marrow??? Yikes!
Love...megs