I bought them right from the Shishmaref tannery during a long-ago village trip. I picked them out, they were snug on my feet, and I made an big investment for being a KNOM volunteer. I remember that first night with my new feet. I stayed in the school and had a classroom to myself. I left the community basketball game in the gym and nestled into my room for the night. I locked the door, unrolled my sleeping bag and just padded around wearing my new seal skin, beaver trim slippers. They've earned retirement but I'm still sad. I can't just ask for a new pair as slippers vary in how they're made from patterns. I will need to find the slippers that call to my feet and hope they fit.
Andy's slippers became too big and worn this year for his clubbers too.
We'll keep our "heirlom" pieces together as a reminder of how simple things, like warm feet, make us feel so good in this world. In the meanwhile, I'm happy it's warming up. I asked my seal-skins to push through the winter and they did.
*Amy
No comments:
Post a Comment