Sunday, March 7, 2010

Storytelling

I am a Gemini and I do believe the description fits. Look up the traits of this astrological sign and you'll read..."communicator...inclined to media, arts, public speaking." Of course my past activities prove as much considering my four years competing in high school speech, drama and six years working radio. Well, the last year a half I don't feel I've really engaged those interests, aside from giving trainings and presentations for work (which I love doing). It certainly has felt like something was missing. Like most everyone, I dabble in new hobbies, explore new interests and hope to discover my niche. Without a "communication outlet" I've realized my enjoyable niche is something I took for granted.

I was reawakened last month by a new event called Arctic Entries. My co-worker Tara and her partner, James, started this storytelling presentation based on one they loved in Baltimore called Stoop Stories (the place where stories are swapped and shared). They pitched the idea to Cyrano's Playhouse in Anchorage and the local Storytellers Guild. It was a "go," and so the promotion began. She described the format and intent and I was hooked. It seemed like a hybrid or off-shoot of prior events with the Nome Arts Council.

7 storytellers share for 7 minutes a real story around the night's theme (and the $7 admission proceeds go to city homeless programs). The diversity offered through a variety of contributors makes for an interesting & homey evening. Naturally, the first Arctic Entries was given the theme, "First Times." A few weeks before the first telling Tara asked if I would be one of the 7! I began preparing, practicing, and reawakened the anxiety of public speaking but also its adrenaline. The task of timing your words carefully and creatively. Talking to myself for practice and running it over in my mind...it all felt so familiar. The door to my entry was reopened.

Cyrano's black box theatre sold out and the crowd was in a good mood last Saturday. Tara and James set the tone and music played. I had good friends there to support and attend the show. Stories were told about a first celebrity sighting, the first time camping surrounded by an incredibly large wolf pack, a first rafting trip, and the first time a young boy learned Alaska Natives hunt by magic.

The main characters of my story aren't even aware I spoke of them. :) I talked about being the first person to move far away from family, breaking trail. But through the first experiences had by my grandparents during trips to the Iditarod, family began to understand the connection to Alaska. I described their first time sleeping in an airport (yikes!), first time riding in a dog sled, and Gramp's first and only time mushing! How all that encouraged me to try my own first time mushing and winning a Rookie Race in Bethel. How being first, breaking trail is entirely doable with your supporters. It was grand to express. The audience laughed at the mere mention my grandparents traveled to Nome for the Iditarod (laughs on them!) and they applauded when I won my race. We connected through the sharing of life. It's especially cool since the Iditarod starts today and many great memories arrive this time of year.

I can't wait to help in some way with upcoming Arctic Entries as the event takes off! It's great to bump into your passion and find one another again...be it cooking, dance performance, watercolor or fly fishing. Don't let life's passions disappear for too long, and keep exploring what new hobbies pick up your pulse with fulfillment.

*Amy

2 comments:

Kati & Butter said...

Sounds like an awesome program, Amy. I would have loved to hear you tell your story, but do not worry I can imagine the "flair" you bring to your stories and it makes me smile.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear more "stories" of you continuing your passion. Good for you!
Love...megs