We went to Wasilla Lake the other week where a patch of snow is plowed for Olympian wannabes. But when we started skating I was wishing for the advantage of an indoor rink's Zamboni. The ice was pocked, bumpy, partially cleared and just not good for cruising speed or twirls.
Then I really looked down and remembered why I love skating on a frozen body of water.
It's like playing in a fun house with funky mirrors all sorts of directions. And this seemingly look of CHAOS actually combines to support me. Mother Nature is cool, literally. It also reminds me of a hand fortune teller. What do those wrinkles or cracks mean? Was there a trauma that shoots off into different directions? What's the life line?
Well, maybe too many questions for something simple like a lake frozen in winter. To be honest, our ankles were wimps so we didn't skate for long. Plus the gliding conditions were just not there. The funny thing is, though the start of spring differs up here than elsewhere in the country, I doubt we'll be outdoor skating this season again. If we want to practice beating Apollo Ohno or Russian figure skaters, we'll have to take it...indoors.
No comments:
Post a Comment