Thursday, March 18, 2010

Jack is Trump

Last Friday I hosted a Euchre card game night. It had been far too long since I last played and I really wanted to throw some cards. The game seems best known by people from the Midwest; not easily recognized by people in AK. It's a game of trump, similar to hearts. I threw out an invitation to other Midwesterners and was surprised by the response and enthusiasm. Game on! In fact, two games at once with partners moving around like a bracket, based on wins and losses. It was so fulfilling to get lost in conversation, card throwing, tricks and music.

As Euchre card players know, the "bower" is the highest card and you get excited when your partner orders you to "pick it up." The "bower" are the Jacks. Well, we had our own Jack trump that night...and he's about 10 months old. Friends I've mentioned before, Heather and Dylan, drove up from Nikiski and stayed with us for the Euchre action (and other reasons). When I last saw Heather in Dillingham she was ready to give birth to Jack. I was so excited to see them and meet the little guy. It was awesome having such cute energy in the home:
I sound pretty excited to hang out with Jack and his momma (my first-year roomie in college)! It's been baby season for sure with many good friends and co-workers expecting and having bundles of joy this past year. Fun to see the developments myself!
It's hard to say which Jack is more fun to play with...one that claps, or one that takes the trick. :)

*Amy

3 comments:

get rhythm said...

That was such a fun video! It was great seeing your place and hanging out with you. Thanks for hosting such a fun evening of cards. We'll have to have you two down to Nikiski sometime soon.

Judy said...

What a great idea, hosting a card game. Good for you, I love the video, what a cutie!

Kati & Butter said...

Mufasa has the same moose toy!! Euchre and babies...gotta love it!