Friday, April 17, 2009

Smokin'

I've always been a bit jealous of G2's supply of smoked salmon.  Well, I finally bucked up and purchased a smoker for myself (thanks G1) so I could fill my freezer with some smoke.  While Amy and Wes were snowshoeing last weekend I took advantage of the day to take on the task.  I was a bit confused as how to approach the project but with some online recipe searches and some consultation with G2 I decided on a plan of attack.


After brining for about 16 hours I decided to chuck in the pecan wood chips and let the smoke rise.  The little smoker lived up to my expectations and held a constant temperature quite well.  I couldn't help but open up the smoker a couple of times throughout to check on the progress.  This is a pic of the smoke just about an hour or two in.


The final product is excellent.  The first batch came in 3 flavors: maple syrup, teriyaki, and cayenne.  I can see that I will be smoking a lot more fish in the near future.  Just in time too, the eye Doc told me I need more Omega-3 (think salmon and fish oil) for my dry eyes.........not that I needed an excuse to eat and smoke salmon, but I'll take what I can get.

2 comments:

Judy said...

Cool, can't wait to give it a try!

Anonymous said...

Hello Amy (and Andy)
Wow Engaged!!!! Tell me the story of how ya meet. I think of you often and wonder what you are up to. When I sent my donation to KNOM, I asked them to send me your e-mail cuz I wanted to make sure I kept in contact. They sent me your blog address and said you had news:) I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU AMY. Andy, you're getting a REAL honey!!! My love to both of you.
Anne