You can read more here, or look up nearly any news source today. Why is AmeriCorps such a big deal to me, other than offering opportunities to better the U.S. (the domestic version of the Peace Corps)?
It's how I got to AK! I was a two-year AmeriCorps Member at KNOM in Nome, and now I coordinate 10 of 35 Members from & around Rural Alaska. AmeriCorps drives my Division at work, and it does amazing things for communities and the volunteers committing to service.
What's really cool about this legislation is that it allows the Education Award--given to all one-year finishing, full-time Members--to match and increase with the national Pell Grant. As with every AmeriCorps Alum since the '70's, the amount has been about $4700 to apply toward future education costs or to pay back existing loans. I dumped both my Ed Awards to my good ole alma mater. Now the amount finally rises after 30 years.
Hurray for the spirit and call to service...whether you're in the AmeriCorps family or offer your time in community service!!! What a good day.
*Amy
2 comments:
I heard the good news today and immediately thought of you! Congrats!
I love volunteering.
Post a Comment