Sunday, February 22, 2009

Times for Unity

Living in rural Alaska is unique, beautiful, hard and sometimes heart-breaking. Two events have happened these last few days that I wish hadn't. And to read about these two "incidents," through the news online, is hard because my heart is still very much in NW AK where I was supported. I wish I was there to give support right now. First, is the story about a plane crash near Nome. Not only did a plane go down in a blizzard on a route I've flown, but an  acquaintance of mine was in the crash and suffered the most serious injuries. Because she's been flown to Anchorage for medical attention, my Nome friend Liz--visiting Andy & I this weekend--went to see her at the hospital today. I fought the tears as I listened to her describe the plane crash rescue and the Nomeites who always work and fight to keep each other safe during hard times.
Second, I read about a dear village to me and my KNOM experiences that suffered a deadly house fire, affecting people I know and have met. Again, my care and concern remains afar but the circumstances hit me closely. 

A reminder that life is precious. Be safe and act lovingly.

*Amy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was scary here in Nome when the plane was missing. I am glad you were able to be with your friend in Anchorage. See you soon.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I got home last night and read online about the fire...I just couldn't believe it. What a week for Western Alaska!!!