Sunday, February 8, 2009

Irondoggin' It


The Irondog Snowmachine Race--the world's longest and toughest snowmachine (mobile) race--started today on Big Lake, near Wasilla. I've seen & covered the race the last five years from the half-way point in Nome, before racers finish the feat in Fairbanks. I was excited to see the start portion and volunteered my presence to KNOM for coverage. 

Anna (former Nomeite and KNOMer), her boyfriend Garrett and his bro, met up with me and we hugged the chute fencing for our awesome spot at the start line. 

As part of opening festivities we heard "distinguished speakers" like the current Mayor of Wasilla, who's seen here with a former Wasilla Mayor and former VP candidate. 
We were REALLY close to the action that included 70 pro class snowmachine racers (35 teams). Palin also waved the green flag for the first team leaving the chute and of course for her husband, "First Dude," Todd Palin. He's a four-time champ of this extreme race. I'm sure you could imagine the press that appeared  out of nowhere to capture any and all images of Alaska's First Family. 

I covered the racers' start (while eating a lot of exhaust!) via my cell phone. I think the transmission worked well for back in Nome. 
Anna and I kept warm for the couple of hours outside today. When you're outfitted with bunny boots, how can you NOT stay cozy?!Good luck to the Nome racers!!! Andy couldn't join us as Sunday is his "Monday" at work.

Ps-THANK YOU for all the Las Vegas suggestions we've received so far. We're booked to stay at Treasure Island the week of March 16th. Now we need to decide what shows to buy tickets for...still opem for those recommendations.

*Amy

2 comments:

Anna Dummer said...

YE-ah bunny boots! And as for Las Vegas, I've always wanted to go (but have never been) to the Cirque du Soleil show "O." I think Kelly and Kevin went to Zumanity and said it was good.

löki gale said...

Those were some awesome glasses Palin was wearing.

lgt