Monday, February 16, 2009

And...the announcement!

Andy and I have decided to get married! He got this huge ball rolling on Valentine's Day when he proposed with this beautiful ring:It's odd to have and then post a picture that shows your finger that close-up! It's a "hearts on fire" diamond considered the "ideal cut." The solitaire is set on a simple band of white gold. I have pretty chubby fingers but through some investigative work, Andy got my size perfectly. I've never worn rings frequently, but I'm sure getting used to this one quickly!
Did I mention that he's had this ring since OCTOBER??! What a guy! Either he wanted to make sure he wasn't making a mistake, waiting for the right time or hoping it would grow (his step-dad's guess!). Well, let's set the scene for our big Saturday:
Not too shabby, huh? We were staying in Girdwood at the Alyeska ski resort. Instead of skiing we went snowshoeing into the Chugach National Forest:
The afternoon activity was warm, picturesque with a hard-packed trail:I found a clearing that went toward the mountain and tempted us with a lot of fresh powder. We bounded up the snowy hill and into the trees, hidden from the trail. We crouched with our snowshoes and took a moment to rest and watch snow cascading off the treetops high above. Even the birds twittered and I thought we were in a Disney movie set in which a talking bunny would approach us! Andy dug some water out of his backpack, looked for snacks and asked what else was in there. Then he asked me if I loved him and I said "Yes." He asked me how much I loved him and I looked off and said dramatically, "as deep as the oceans and as high as these mountains!" I laughed and turned back to him. At this point he was holding a purple box, smiling and asked, "do you love me enough to be my wife?"

I was speechless, which is pretty hard for me! I was offered a box with a box with a ring. I started thinking, "am I supposed to open this box to the ring or will he do it?" I just stared at him happily but didn't make a move (I think I said, "really?"). He finally took the box and pulled out the other box and opened it for me. I forgot that I hadn't said yes so then I blurted it out. Literally, my answer to the question was, "Yes, I love you enough to be your wife!" It would have seemed to an outsider that the pause and wait for an answer was so I could see the ring before agreeing! Ha!

Andy told me he called my parents the day before which was great news to me. Again, I marveled how he got it to fit my mitt and then, POOF!!!! A bunch of snow fell from a tree and landed at our backs! We could have been COVERED but instead we laughed and wondered if that meant anything...the Gorn behind was getting wet in the snow so we got back to the trail.
Then I realized I wanted to put my gloves back on and felt weird about covering the ring. Andy said, "We live in Alaska, that's how it goes." And we enjoyed the hike back.Thank you to all for your enthusiasm, support and numerous Congratulations! WOW! The internet is a crafty tool for spreading the word too. 
So the questions are coming....WHEN, WHERE, WHAT...
We're merely brainstorming at this point; no answers to share.
WHERE: leaning towards Alaska
WHEN: if Alaska, then summer time to enjoy....so, summer 2010?? (I'm part of/going to two weddings this summer)
WHAT: on the smaller side
HOWEVER: I will endure Andy's pressure to go to a courthouse or make it happen when we go to Vegas next month!! I will endure, but not crack :)

Again, thank you everyone for your love and happiness!

*Amy and Andy

PS - Guess who isn't getting a new 4-wheeler or boat this Spring?......Andy, that's who.  but it's worth it.  - AAG

6 comments:

löki gale said...

THAT IS AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful proposal, beautiful ring, beautiful couple, beautiful future! Congratulations again!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Amy and Andy! Enjoy the engagement bliss!

Anonymous said...

So fun to see the pictures of the beautiful engagement setting. Beautiful ring too..Good job Andy!! Congratulations again and happy wedding planning to you. Be sure to get as many free cake samples as you can. :) So excited for you guys. JE

Anonymous said...

Haha...we aren't getting a brand new four-wheeler either for the same reason. I'm so happy for the both of you! The ring is beautiful. I cannot wait to see it and congratulate you both in person this weekend. YAY!!!

Anonymous said...

So happy for you two! If you get the bug and want to elope in Vegas I happen to know the name of a great officiant -- Elvis!!