Sunday, January 30, 2011

Trust Me

I should have known to trust a Trooper, or better, my soon-to-be-husband. I learned that he really does know me. Last spring when he brought up the possibility of applying for a promotion to Sitka, I remember him saying, "you'll really like it there."
How could he say that?
I didn't know myself whether an entirely new climate, and part of Alaska (on an island!!) would appeal. I know the culture, means of living, sacrifice and enjoyment from arctic tundra AK, but the soggy Southeast?? What did he know of the community that would jive with my interests and approach to life, when he lived there only briefly in an intense "bubble?" (attending the Academy himself)

I greeted his assurance for my part in this move with skepticism, but with support for something important to his career and Southeast dream. Plus, I'm up for adventures. But I should have trusted him a little more from the start. He's right....I really like it here.

Of course I really loved Nome, otherwise I would not have stayed for just over 6 years. But gradually in my last year there the enjoyment and satisfaction started to diminish. I'd get more annoyed or less fulfilled by things than before. Though difficult, I knew it was time to change.

Wasilla was good in that Andy and I were together. I had Target and TREES (boy, I miss those beautiful birch trees), a new direction and friends in Anchorage with whom to do fun things. We planned and had our wedding there. As I start to process those nearly two years of commuting and living in the Valley, I think I was "dog paddling." Head above water, enjoying the view and company, but not necessarily growing in self or going any place. I had a lot of time out there on my own, not motivated to make the drive to Anchorage, and I didn't have a feeling of contentment. I usually wondered what more could I be doing, exploring...

When we'd go out to dinner, Andy and I would play the relocation game. What bids for Trooper Posts are open? What Posts would you ideally want to work at, live at? We hypothesized different scenarios all the time. As if we were anticipating what a crystal ball would reveal to us. The thought was scary, unknown, and there's a thrill to that as well. When Andy's job assignment in Wasilla changed and nearly guaranteed he wouldn't have to relocate...well, that was a relief, assured stability and was a bit of a let-down too. I'd keep dog-paddling.

Then he told me I'd like Sitka, as if he actually knew! He did. I've felt moments of simple contentment and happiness over and over again, which were rather rare for Wasilla, and which remind me of the early years in Nome. Yes, we're new and it's all rosy (like a newlywed and a honeymoon!). I'm sure in even a year we'll be less enchanted by certain things or see more sides to the community, but it's still good.

While walking about 40 minutes in the dusk to a Trooper's house Friday night (passing the Academy along the way where Andy was still working), I felt just right. Spontaneous contentment, fulfillment and enjoyment of that moment in time, the route. It's a good route we're on right now. I miss terribly specific parts, people and places of my last two homes, but I really like it in Sitka. Really like. And Andy won't even say "I told you so."

*Amy
Andy really enjoys Sitka too.
He took his cup o coffee outside yesterday to enjoy the peace and beauty of a sunny Saturday morning.

3 comments:

Judy said...

How lucky you both are to have found a beautiful little city to live a part of your life together. Cherish that feeling, you are fortunate. I can't wait to hear more about your adventures in Sitka, it is always a treat to read your posts.

Tim and Karin Bodony said...

In order to live in real Alaska, it's important to have a view of heavy equipment from your house. I'm glad to see that you have a trackhoe right across the street. That's as important as the ocean view.

Anonymous said...

So happy that you are so happy - can't wait to visit this fabulous place you now call home!
Megs