Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Anniversary

We didn't just celebrate Cupid's holiday over the long weekend, we also celebrated an anniversary. Last year on Valentine's Day Andy proposed marriage. Yep, we've been engaged for a year now, which is rather long considering we still have 4 1/2 months to go. The year has also gone quickly, of course.

We celebrated the holiday and the proposal by going to the same place as last year--Alyeska Ski Resort in Girdwood! We didn't go there for sentimental reasons, but to scratch the skiing itch I've had for some time. I hadn't been downhill skiing for three years and Andy hadn't held a ski pole since 8th grade! We committed to the activity and was confused to arrive in Girdwood to RAIN. Yes, February 14th in Alaska and it was RAINING. What?! The temperature had risen to 40-degrees and the precipitation hit the Mountain. We decided to go for it as we had already driven to Girdwood and had a room reserved at the resort.

We suited up in our rental gear and went up the slightest "hill" to try out the feeling of skiing. We went up a "treadmill" in a kid-area. I was a little rusty but enjoyed the sensation. Andy went down the kid "hill" once and called it quits. To his credit, it was raining and he just had a bad vibe. He was content to hang out in the bar and WATCH Olympic skiing as I worked my way up to the chair lift and did some small runs near the Mountain's base. Now that is love.

I scratched my "itch" and felt the snow begin to slip under the rain. I was also drenched and called it good. The rest of the day was more normal as we got ready and enjoyed a phenomenal dinner at the famed Double Musky. This cajun steak house doesn't take reservations so when we arrived it was a two-hour wait. And it took the entire two hours. However, we spent that time enjoying each other's company at the bar and talking with some folks around us (including the multi-millionaire construction company owner who is building Nome's new hospital). We ate at the Double Musky the night before Andy proposed last year. It never disappoints!

The only picture we took in Girdwood was a less than impressive shot of a ski boot on Andy's foot. He skiied for all of 25 seconds but he wore the boots for a good part of the day! Despite the Comedy of Errors (which included the ski rental guy taking cash from us and not logging our equipment--probably a scam) it was nice to change the scenery and recognize the journey we've been on since Valentine's Day 2009!

*Amy

4 comments:

löki gale said...

:)

lgt

Sara said...

Happy engagement anniversary! We'll have to start calling you Lindsay Vonn!

Jodi and Graham said...

Ha! Graham and I have driven to Alyeska before only to find it's raining, but we turned around. I'm impressed at your dedication. Double Musky... yum!! Happy Engagement Anniversary!

Kati and Butter said...

Sounded like a great time despite the rainy weather. I would have been with Andy at the bar and Butter definitely would have had your enthusiasm...it actually sounded like our last trip to Colorado! :)