Sunday, December 13, 2009

Surprise at the Shower

A bit of context:
Years ago my Uncle Sterlyng invented a really neat homemade decoration that's pretty fitting for Christmas. This creation made quite the splash at Christmas Eves past. In 2001 I was gifted one of these "ornaments" and so brought the thing to college, to the excitement of my roommates. We hung it in a corner as sort of a "disco ball." I don't know what happened to Uncle Sterl's gift as I know it didn't come home with me at graduation.

Can you imagine my surprise and exclamation when I dug into a very large gift bag from Aunt Diane at my bridal shower last month and found....the plastic cup Christmas ball?!! My college roommates present couldn't believe it either, and I was happy to show this family "tradition" (??) to other family and friends. Uncle Sterl resurrected his original design and creation for my bridal shower. How fortunate! I know Andy was as excited for this acquisition too. ;) Many laughs were had.

As the Christmas ball didn't fit in a suitcase it arrived in the mail this week. Hurray! I hung it up in the back yesterday.
I forgot to say that it lights up too! From inside the living room I can see it hanging joyfully. I think of the Christmas ball as more than plastic cups stapled together with lights manipulated inside. It represents family (first, the memories of laughs from first seeing it to getting one yourself) as we are all our own cup. My cup may be at the "north pole" of the ball, separated from cousins at the "south pole" of the ball, but together we're a beautiful unit, connected and tied up, lighting up each other's lives. Yeah, I think Uncle Sterl should apply for a patent. Thank you!

Also from the shower my mom hosted, Judy (Andy's mom) shared some photos and here's an image I'm not used to seeing (let alone used to wearing). Just over 6 months!
*Amy

3 comments:

Sara said...

I meant to ask how you got it home - so glad it arrived safely!

Kati said...

Ooohhhhhhh! Aaaahhhhhh! The ball brings back so many memories. I am so excited it is living on in Alaska! Awesome!

Judy said...

It is even prettier when lit, can't wait to see it in person!