So very long ago, like two weeks, we drove to Valdez. It was a 5-hour trip one-way from Wasilla. It was also a work trip because a co-worker & I went to support a Women's Health Fair that one of our AmeriCorps Members organizes annually. Since the event was on a Saturday, we traveled Friday and that meant Andy could come along (and be the driver!). It was neat because we had never been to Valdez before.
The weather forecast was proven wrong because we had gorgeous sunshine on the Glenn Highway, showcasing the fall colors, canyons, mountains and glaciers. (glacier on right-hand side of picture, below)

My co-worker and I enjoyed chattering the entire drive, which goes through Glennallen, passing great views of Wrangell-St. Elias, and thru Thompson Pass. The Pass takes you into the mountains before you coast down into the tiny sea-level town, where Alaska's gas pipe line ends at the Port of Valdez. Thompson Pass has tons of waterfalls you drive by!
Then we stared at Worthington Glacier, which climbs all the up a very big mountain. How old was that ice and the path it has traveled? The 3 of us marveled at its immenseness. This picture only captures the glacier's base.
The AmeriCorps Member and her husband took us on a comprehensive tour (for a place with a population of about 4200), and we learned about the health issues she works on. The Health Fair was great! She called it "A Time For Her." There were massage therapists, health screeners, crafts, food and prizes. We were trained on the hearing screen test. I actually sent out the tones and had ladies raise their hands when they heard them. I think this speciality is something I can add to my resume! ha.
While we worked, Andy fished. A fine silver salmon was brought home in a cooler, but he actually wanted more considering all the fish we had hit our lines later on. In our free time we also attempted a hike in the drizzle--that was until I spotted a black bear cub rustling around in the brush along the trail not far away from us. When I shouted, "BEAR!" it looked at me for a moment before rustling away. We wondered about Mama Bear and began our exit.
Other wildlife was a-plenty in Valdez, not far away from the Alyeska oil terminal that processes North Slope oil and ships it south...we were highly amused by the belching sea lions feeding in our salmon fishing spot!
The marine mammals were much better fishermen than Andy. We have another clip of a feeding and the seagulls descending on the spot. I could practically hear them shout "Mine! Mine! Mine!" (obscure movie reference anyone?).
Nice work-sponsored weekend getaway taking us to another beautiful area of this amazing state.
*Amy
3 comments:
That looks beautiful.
Looks like a great weekend trip, love the video! Thanks for sharing.
Looks absolutely gorgeous - glad to hear you guys had such a great trip!
Post a Comment