In August I spent 10 days in Council with G1, G2, and good family friends (Jim, Jeff, Toby, Matt, Simon, Kevin, and of course the Mike W. family) to help construct the Gorn family cabin. When I arrived G1 had already started working on the foundation. Of course, without the extra timber supplied by Mike work would have come to an abrupt halt, thanks Mike.
After the foundation was in it was time to start pounding some wood together. Reinforcements and extra labor arrived to help speed the process along.
Once the cap was on it was time to start putting together the first floor walls. G1 had a pretty good plan put together. Not a single wall was stood up until it was complete all he way down to the siding. It worked out pretty damn well.
It seemed to take a bit of time, but eventually the men with skills were working on the second floor. It was about this time that Matt and I started up the Logging and Timber Union. We knocked down some trees and made a circle drive in an effort to stay out of the way of men with carpentry skill.
Matt and Jim also started up the local Plumbing Union and made some improvements on the outhouse. Nicely done.
Lots of hard work and long days for the construction crew paid off when the second floor started coming together. Don't get me wrong, there was a little bit of time to talk stupid and drink some cold ones though.
It all paid off in the end. Many happy memories yet to come at the cabin.
2 comments:
That looks wonderful. I wish I was in AK right now picking berries and helping to build things. I hear there is an interesting proposal going on too (Paul?!!!)
I personally saw the cabin a few days ago and can say it is incredible! A job well done by all, G1 should be proud!
Post a Comment