Sunday, May 31, 2009

Among The Trees

As a MN girl, I grew up with trees of all sorts. My favorites have been the coniferous sort and their aromatic ways. Then I moved to Nome and learned to love tundra, wide expanses and views, willow bushes and thin cottonwoods. I always missed trees though.

Now I'm back among them and the birches around Wasilla have exploded with vibrant green leaves. And we have bonfires in the pit at night. Fueling those fires are dead birches gathered and cut. The smell is great and I have the perfect stump for a chair. Here's one of our beauteous wood piles:
It's so homey with interesting shapes that I hope we don't have to split the logs for fuel. Maybe I'll start a big fort or fence instead. Trees have such individualistic characters and some trees have awesome bark-skins.Look how they peel, crack and flake! When I was little we used those big bark pieces for writing and anything else our imaginations could conjure. 

It's wonderful being in a yard, and back among the trees.

*Amy

1 comment:

Judy said...

It is funny how you don't realize how much you've missed something until you get it back. Yards, freshly cut grass and trees! Nice!