Monday, March 30, 2009

Seward's Day

Andy and I had the day off from work today! Why? It's a holiday celebrating Alaska's sale to the U.S., which was known for some time as Seward's Folly. I guess it's why we use U.S. currency and speak English instead of Russian!

Anyway, we started our day off with a great Alaska tradition, SOURDOUGH. Sourdough Starter has sustained many a meal for miners in the frozen North and many other pioneers and villages. I've kept my starter "alive" (because it is, considering the yeast) for about a year now after taking a great class in Nome. My starter comes from the village of Shishmaref. Its residency is the fridge in this jar:
I regenerated the Starter Sunday night so it was ready to whip into pancake batter the next morning. I wish you could smell the Starter from this photo (it's sour, obviously).The cool thing about sourdough pancakes is how they puff up big as you cook and flip 'em! I've also made cookies, bread and biscuits with this Starter. What Andy and I discovered & recommend is using Strawberry Syrup instead of Maple. How healthy that is...well, never you mind! Today we added real strawberries to the strawberry syrup...yummmmmm!I doubt the original gold miners had fresh, on-sale strawberries for their flapjacks!
It was a Berry-good long weekend when my friend Jodi & I made Triple Berry (straw-rasp-black) jam Sunday! To top off the fun, I bought a bike on-sale from REI and we went bowling! Andy's a great bowler, by the way, even when he's rusty! I broke a 100 which made me happy.

Along with being Jodi's Maid-of-Honor in Seward this June, my friend, Liz, has asked me to a be bridesmaid in Nome this July! She's very kind in sharing about it in her blog. Busy, joyous summer already planned. 

As for our wedding, Andy & I scoped out venues and accommodations today as well. Some things look promising!

*Amy

3 comments:

löki gale said...

I saw it was Seward's Day on my calendar yesterday!

Woo-hoo for Alaska.

Judy said...

Your flapjacks look better than any I could get in a restaurant! Yummy! Time to kick my starter up a notch!

Anonymous said...

Your jam sounds great - wish I could have been there with you and Jodes helping out! Maybe I will get a taste in June?!
Megs