Thursday, January 8, 2009

Da Deep Freeze

It's non-news now in Alaska that we're freezing up here. Over ten days registered below-zero temps. Last night as we picked up my car that was parked within Wasilla, the truck said -32 (and my RAV4 is such a tough cookie!). Tomorrow may *finally* be the turning point (which means the cold system moves to the Lower 48!). Throughout this brrrrr time Andy & I have still been sick. The coughing and hacking do not seem to end! I blame a general lack of well-being as the reason for no recent blog posts. We have pictures of Christmas in Nome and other things but just haven't gotten around to sharing them, yet.

I will share that after a wonderful New Year's Eve celebration we came home to Wasilla with NO heat. The air intake pipe was frosted over and couldn't get oxygen to ignite our pilot light. We spent New Year's Day very cold and sick, while spending too much money for some worker to tell us about the intake problem. After buying a space heater and getting back to normal indoor temps. the next day, I'm hoping the start of 2009 was merely quirky and not ominous! 

I hope I don't seem like a complainer--that's just what's going on. Thank goodness Andy & I both, unknowingly, gave each other warmer coats for Christmas. Last night Andy said his puffer jacket was perfectly planned. 

We've got stunning scenery among these cold, clear days, including thick hoarfrost covering everything exposed to the elements (plus we're up to six hours of daylight, gaining over 3 minutes a day). I hope to capture some beauty on digital film soon. For now, here's a picture sent to me that was taken in Fairbanks on Monday...
*Amy

4 comments:

Amy&AndyinAlaska said...

huh--I called the cold snap "non news" and then write about it as our news. That's contradictory!

Amy&AndyinAlaska said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

One wonders once it gets that cold, -32 or -62, can you tell the difference? Either way, it is weather not fit for man or beast! Please stay safe and warm.

löki gale said...

that is cold...