Since we're on a photo hiatus and I'm being stubborn in not wanting to pay to post our photos (should we ask the 7 faithful blog followers to help start a donation account?! Kidding...)....I can still write plain text, which is actually easier and quicker to whip up of course.
Last night the power went out around 2am. We were expecting more of this on Thanksgiving when a good storm took life on the water but we only had a flicker outage (right as Santa made his appearance during the Macy's parade--classic!). So overnight was a surprise. Technically it happened Saturday morning but I chuckle to think we had a real "black friday" because when I woke up to realize we had no power, Andy looked out the window to see total darkness. It was like camping. We don't have street lights anyway, but our view down the hill was swallowed.
Why write about a power outage that lasted 2-3 hours? Well, it's our first with a baby. I woke up because the baby monitor receiver, which recharges overnight, started beeping at me with no juice. Then I heard Miss A cry downstairs. I'm glad we could hear her faintly! Andy went down and of course her nightlight was out, but thankfully the darkness didn't seem to bother her. As we nestled back into bed we listened to beeping downstairs, just outside of A's room....the smoke alarm. It needs a fresh battery when not electrically connected. Reminder to self and others, check those 9 volts. Thankfully, again, that noise didn't bother A.
It's just those little things that take on new meaning with a wee one (like temporarily losing the baby monitor to Mother Nature and trying to sleep peacefully without).
As we inventoried our dependence on electric heat and our freezerS of precious fish and food, Andy decided we're saving up for a generator. Not a bad idea to have on hand for Alaska.
*Amy
2 comments:
where do I donate?
As a former reporter, I feel obligated to provide a factual update to the power outage. Not the weather, but a driver who hit a power line downtown and caused a citywide power failure! Who would have guessed?!
Post a Comment