Alaska Day! A State Holiday! It was October 18th and Sitka was the site of Russia's transfer of the Great Land to the U.S. Our town celebrates like no other location in the state. Sitka has a lot of parades throughout the year and I've been told Alaska Day is the biggest. That's right, I had not been part of the festivities yet as I was in Anchorage the last two years during AFN week.
So this year I booked my ticket back from AFN to partake in Sitka's Alaska Day. What a super decision. It was a fun day off from work!
My plan had been to merge a bunch of iPhone gritty video together into a montage. But, the reality is I just don't have the time or attention span to do so. In order to share some of the fun, and really, it's worth sharing, I'll just post a couple of short vids. I hope you'll put up with it and try to understand.
First up was my favorite, the Sitka High marching band. Can you pick out the tune and theme attire?
I really chuckle at the creativity of the Coho lyrics.
And, why not?
There was much more like the Seattle bagpipers and people shooting blanks in period costume. But if i can't make one video I won't put up every single one I recorded on fair Lincoln Street. We love Alaska Day, a day in which we saw rain, snow and sunshine.
*Amy
1 comment:
Ha! Looks like fun! Love that the marching band had xtra tuffs (I was watching an episode of Freaks and Geeks last night - which takes place somewhere in the Midwest - and a store in the show had Xtra Tuffs on the shelf!) I couldn't pick out the tune tho...?
We live in Alaska! Where the skies are so grey :)
Love all the videos. So weird how belly dancing is so popular. They're always at the downtown mrkt in Anc in the summer..
Great post!
Post a Comment