Monday, April 23, 2012

NOLA & Baby

Nothing says party like taking a baby to New Orleans! So that's what Miss A and I did last week. We traveled more than 15 hours each way (that's about 5 flight segments) for a two-day conference. It was fabulous! I can't emphasize enough how well baby girl did. I kept wondering how I could thank her and show my appreciation for being such a dear (not perfect, but impressive) throughout the journeys I put her through.

As I remarked on Facebook, we arrived to the hotel in NOLA at midnight and discovered the hotel gave away my room even though I had confirmed it hours before during a layover. There was no way around a full hotel so they sent us away in a taxi for a free stay elsewhere, nearby. Now, even as Miss A had been out of her element, in a different time zone and carted all over, she didn't show it. Had she been cranky or fussy (understandably), my stress level would have certainly risen. But instead the sweetheart smiled as I wheeled her around in her new umbrella stroller.

We finally got to bed after 1am and my mind was reeling; anticipating a check out first thing in the morning to get back to the Sheraton. I stared at A and she stared very calmly back into my eyes. She smiled and I just gave prayers of thanks for surviving the day. It was a special moment, and then, before I could get too poetic or deep, she blew a tiny raspberry without breaking her gaze. She reminded me she's still a baby.

The start of the trip was indicative of the rest. It all went well. She came home with a big baby head from all sorts of lovely comments.

Sunshine and warmth really arrived our last full day. We went strolling around checking out shops with a friend from Anchorage also attending the conference. Here's Jackson Square, and then outdoor seating for dinner (with a mojito!). Had my fill of shrimp creole, seafood okra gumbo, jambalaya, and rice and beans. Yum!


The conference was good and there were nearly 20 Alaskans in attendance. The main highlight of the trip for me was an evening with FAMILY! I have not seen my cousins in over three years! You grow up together, and then one moves to Alaska and the other to Louisiana. Times together are not often to say the least. And now my cousin is a Professor! What an accomplishment! They drove all the down from Baton Rouge for the visit. I'm still grateful and happy. Miss A loved them too, even if she started to fade over beignets at Cafe du Monde. It was a little meltdown.
 And then her second-cousins (is that what they are to her??) helped make everything alright again!
Look! What naturals. And all in due time to use these talents, with about less than 3 months before their precious boy arrives! Yay for putting love to that sweet boy. Thank you for seeing us again! Next time they'll be a family of 3 too.
And then the conference ended and we were on our flights back North. Miss A slept so much that I actually read an entire book during the two days of travel. The southern climate, food and hospitality was a great getaway. I hadn't been to NOLA in ten years. Sometime I'll go back, with Andy. A stroll down Bourbon St. is different with my daughter along for the ride!

*Amy

No comments: