Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pat's Sitter

On Monday night we went to a "body art" contest as part of Artigras happenings in Sitka. That's right, we took our daughter to a (smoke-free) Pub to see tattoos compete. It was fun, and brought out a different demographic to Arts Council events. Just before leaving (after Miss A let us eat our buffalo wings as she slept in her car seat) I overheard a patron near us. (paraphrased) "That baby looks like a baby Pat Benatar!" I felt motherly pride that this denim-jacketed fellow was impressed by A's hair and likened her to a rocker, as she hung out with many folks sporting impressive tattoos. She may grow up well-rounded. Andy liked the show but wouldn't enter his tattoo, newish from last winter. I had high hopes for some tattoo trophies.
"We Are Young..."
image from last month
Today was the first full day I spent apart from her. Andy's been used to the work routine for awhile. I've had the luxury of keeping her at home or having Grandmas watch her as I earn a day's wage. But today she finally went to our friend's house for care-taking. If all goes well, which we're expecting it will, she'll go to our friend's twice a week and then stay at home with me the rest of the week. Our friend has a 17-month old and she currently adores Miss A. It's so sweet and she was borderline upset as I left with A.

So last night and this morning I went through all the emotions of "letting go." I swear she was going off to college in just a matter of time. Rather than have a nice farewell after I got her things settled, I had to take off like a bat out of hell. Who forgets to bring the bottles of pumped milk (lovingly gathered during sessions at 1:30am)? Yeah...thank goodness we live on an island. Before my morning Skype meeting I raced to our house on the other side of the island, plucked the bottles of milk from the fridge and raced them back. So much for a fond send off to a good day. But I made my meeting and was welcomed by her smiling face for pick up. We all did it. We all survived and I'm glad to have her home. We have until Monday for take two.

*Amy

No comments: