A quick word about maternity leave, from my perspective. After working full-time for nearly 10 years it's an adjustment to be off work for 8 weeks, now down to 2. It goes without saying that learning to be a mom to my new beautiful daughter is a lifestyle I love and cherish. This time together will be remembered always and set us up for a wonderful connection. But I must admit that being on leave has been an adjustment. Granted I spend all day in my house anyway but usually it's within the walls of my home office. Change of scenery it really is not. Change of tempo, absolutely. I'm used to taking time off for some sort of travel around or out of Alaska. Rarely is leave taken and I remain at home. And if I'm home I am productive.
Here's that word "productive." In my pre-Miss A mind I planned to take care of her, recuperate myself and get some projects done around the house. I figured I'd even reorganize my recipes with any extra time I'd come upon! HA!
Usually the measure of a day is made based on how much I could accomplish, cross of my list. Between work tasks and needs around the house, or planned activities, I could look back on the day and see how I was productive. Being a mom to a newborn is not the same. I don't have the familiar sense of what I "did" during a day. I know it's obvious but it's something to feel to know. I will not quantify the diapers changed or how many feedings over how much time. At first it seemed odd that simple things are not easily accomplished even though I'm home all day, like writing cards, updating the baby book and making dinner.
I guess what I'm saying is that I'm learning to "be present." My friend Jesse wrote about this a lot when he served in Africa. I am there for my daughter, we veg out when she sleeps on me, and we stare at each other. Taking a shower or a trip to the grocery store becomes a major activity (I realize that will change). It's good to readjust my tempo and slow it down. I am getting to know and soak in my newborn's perfection. We are partners in the day. I'm calibrating for a new purpose in my life with many more tempo changes to come, which I know will pick up greatly!
I've thought a lot this past year about preparing and adjusting, but mentally considering maternity leave was not on "the list." It has been quite interesting and quite lovely. Now, to think about going back to work (in my own home) with my own baby. Thankfully we have Grandmas visiting all February to help with that transition.
So here's what I'm doing, or checking off the list, during maternity leave: love love and love.
(the recipes will wait)
*Amy
4 comments:
Nicely said.
Beautiful.
There is an old poem I remember reading when I held Andy and Tony in my arms. I was told that I would spoil them by rocking and holding them so much. I didn't like that much and didn't really believe it so I felt so happy when I found this poem.
Quiet down cobwebs,
Dust go to sleep,
I'm rocking my baby,
And babies don't keep.
You are right, this is a very precious time for you, the recipes will definitely keep.
She is just perfect - sounds like you are enjoying every second together!
Post a Comment