Of course we enjoyed a day dedicated to expressions and feelings of love---Valentine;s is special for us as we became engaged on Valentine's two years ago, and this was our first in marriage. From the humorous to the touching we had little surprises for each other. While I was at a noon meeting, Andy came home for lunch and found a chocolate fish that was "caught but not released." He sent me a photo to say he liked it.

While back home to work in the afternoon I was surprised by a van stopping by with this purple collection of flowers.

I looked forward to starting Cupid's day on the radio spinning an hour's worth of love songs. No, no Celine Dion and "The Power of Love," but classics by Nina Simone, Billie Holiday, Duke E., Sinatra and more. Even The Avett Brothers and The Cure made the lovely cut. For dinner we created a special menu together: Emmentaler Cheese Fondue with caramelized shallots and red velvet cupcakes for dessert. Simple, delicious and savored. Our lifestyle and schedule in Sitka certainly affords us quality time with each other...which sort of makes every day Valentine's Day! Also makes our first year-plus together as a couple, spent long-distance from Nome to Anchorage, all worth it.
A Red, Red Rose
Robert Burns
O my luve's like a red, red rose,
That's newly sprung in June;
O my luve's like the melodie
That's sweetly played in tune.
As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
So deep in luve am I;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry.
Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun:
O I will luve thee still, my dear,
When the sands o' life shall run.
And fare thee weel, my only luve,
And fare thee well awhile;
And I will come again, my luve,
Though it were ten thousand mile.
*Amy
No comments:
Post a Comment