Friday, November 12, 2010

Farewell and Thank You

Kelly, Tom, Amy and Lynette (with award) seated at the Gabriel Awards in St. Louis, 2003.
KNOM won, again, "Radio Station of the Year."
Halloween night Andy and I gave out a fair amount of candy despite horribly windy weather. Monday morning I was thinking about our next blog post. By mid-morning, my friend in Nome had texted me to say that the backbone of my Alaska family died unexpectedly in his sleep on his 63rd birthday. I screamed out and began sobbing in my home office, and so began a difficult week for Tom Busch's family, of course, but also the KNOM family, Western Alaska and many more throughout the country.

Fortunately, I flew to Anchorage for the weekend to attend his funeral service, and was honored to serve as a reader in his service. It was a weekend of personal and collective grief, wonderful memories, KNOM reunions and overall healing.

It's been said many times over since Tom (KNOM Radio's founder) passed, but he shaped and altered the lives for so many young people as they journeyed to Nome, Alaska to serve at a far-out radio station. He's a life-changer: God works through him and his wife, Florence. I want to share with you a bit of what I wrote for KNOM as they assemble a tribute to Tom.

I first met Florence, then Tom, at St. Ben's during volunteer fairs of my Junior and Senior years. While I courted KNOM during the month of March senior year, he sent me that year's infamous Iditarod diary--in progress. Here's a college senior opening at 70+ page document late at night, about a sport of which she had no knowledge! I could have ran away screaming, but his obvious love and excitement told me this Nome, Alaska could possibly change my life. When I flew into Anchorage for the first time, Tom was at my gate waiting to greet me. He had just flown in from Fairbanks and we sat waiting for Florence's plane to arrive (she was coming from Fairbanks too, just later). Two years later it was Tom who made an incredible offer for me to stay at KNOM as paid staff, and so set the next four years of my life too.
2005 with the RAV4 in front of KNOM; Tom & Flo's last day in Nome.
Many people know my car: the maroon RAV4 that's old with ridiculously low mileage. I bought it from Tom and Florence when they were ready to leave Nome after 30 years and move to Anchorage. I didn't know how to drive a stick shift so Tom gave me driving lessons at Nome Beltz High School and around town. He could have just tried to sell the car to anyone, but enthusiastically spurred this learning idea. What patience and great skill to teach a new way of driving to a 24-year old! Then, this summer we left the RAV4 at their Anchorage home while Andy & I honeymooned for nearly two weeks. He happily dropped us off at the airport, and then brought the RAV4 to the airport when we arrived (Flo followed in their vehicle). To see him drive the car again, more than 5 years later, was a hoot and he declared how he forget the RAV4 was fun to drive!I

Mostly, though, every weekday morning for 3 years Tom greeted me when he first walked through the door at work. He started his work day as happy as could be, refreshed and ready to visit while I worked the morning show. His wide-eyed, cheerful self would smile and enter Studio A, ready to launch into some story or thoughts. Mostly it started in response or comment to something I shared during the morning show. A story he thought of based on something I talked about on the radio. Or, maybe he read something on the Internet the night before and wanted me to know. Perhaps the night sky's stars were in a certain alignment and I should go look, or here's a Cinematography magazine you may want to read, he saw a movie the night before and was considering the actors' performances. Maybe he remembered a story that led to a talk about marriage, mortality, faith and trying times, parenthood. He seemed just at ease contemplating the mysteries of life as he was discussing story arcs from the season of Northern Exposure I was borrowing from him and Florence. Every weekday morning for 3 years I listened and learned from him in those one-on-one moments. What a gift. What an opportunity to share from my young life and have someone take my thoughts, trials, and interests seriously. He would always light up and stop his work to listen to my reflections and experiences when I returned from every village trip. He would delight in my details and recollections, and ultimately have a memory and story of his own to share in return.

At his beautiful and touching service last Saturday, it was said how he never spoke sarcastically and approached everything in life positively and full of learning. Hard to believe someone can actually do that, but he did, every moment. Perhaps we can try to be more like Tom too. I'm going to try. Mentors plant seeds, even after they're gone I guess.

If you want to check out the growing list of tributes and stories, click here to see KNOM's compilation, and to read more about Tom's incredible life. If you feel moved to go a step further, consider making a donation to KNOM radio in Nome in Tom's memory.

Thanks for letting me share. Continued prayers for Florence, Steve and Kate and all those touched by Tom's gifts & saddened by his too soon departure.

*Amy

3 comments:

Kati & Butter said...

Beautifully written, Amy. What wonderful relationship the two of you shared. You have been in my thoughts and prayers (as well as my students:)). Thank you for sharing.

Sara said...

I agree with Kati - that was beautifully written, Amy.

Lots of love,
Sara

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear of your loss, Amy. I remember you always telling lots of stories about Tom and how much fun he was to be around. You are in my thoughts...
Love....megs