Andy's working in Sitka right now. As expected, our things are taking about 3 weeks to arrive, which means he has a blow-up single bed, a sleeping bag, a bad-ass TV but no cable, and that's about it. He eats in a our awesome kitchen, walks around the living room because he can't sit, calls me and goes to bed. Sounds less than thrilling, but work at the Academy is going very well. Early to rise for the PT routine with recruits and yesterday he taught his first class--for 8 hours! Neighbors are friendly; bringing him cookies and muffins. They ask when his things will arrive, and his wife. Of course I pump him for info. about the people he meets ("Oh, he's a teacher? At what school, what does he teach?" (Amy) "I didn't ask, but I think he coaches something." (Andy)), but his info.-gathering takes a little longer than mine. ;) Other Trooper families make sure he's fed and takes home leftovers. That makes me happy.
I went to Nome last weekend for an all-too short trip for friends' wonderful outdoor wedding. Erika and Tyler tore up the dance floor at our wedding and I helped stomp around the historic school building/B&B room that we danced in at their celebration. Not every reception gives you a full view of a reindeer herd crossing the tundra in late-day sunshine!
Now I sit waiting for my flight to Southwest AK for a couple of work site visits to villages around Dillingham this weekned. Northwest AK one weekend, the Southwest the next weekend, and the following weekend is Southeast AK. I get to visit Andy for 3 days! (just in time to help unpack our belongings). I'm criss-crossing quite a bit around AK this month. Of course the best place is where Andy's at.
*Amy
No comments:
Post a Comment