Friday, October 30, 2009

Howling

It would be neat for this time of year to have wolves howling at a full moon set against a creepy old house. Instead, we have howling winds, a big moon and a creaking house withstanding the force of nature.

Last night on my Facebook status I wrote, "Mighty winds in the Mat-Su; the witch flew by, Toto too." That kind of sums up Mother Nature right now.

I planned to go to Walmart for groceries after work but when I could barely walk to my car from the commuter van and saw a Walmart cart corral tipped over, I figured it was safer to head home. Good thing I did because I found outdoor furniture strewn about, UPS packages blown around too! I nestled in thinking our birch trees would snap over. Andy worked 13 hours yesterday due to staff shortages and he said it was like that all day in the Valley.

Parts of Wasilla lost power, but thankfully not us. The Valley has breezy tendencies, but winds gusting to 50mph are expected through Saturday. I think it could make for a spooky Friday night as we watch a scary movie and carve the pumpkin!

The other unusual thing is the lack of snow cover. I think we'll make it to November with no snow! The mountains continue to show more white but I only saw spitting flakes with rain a few days ago. How is it that Southcentral AK is the only area without snow?! Oh well, feels more Halloween-y!

Better brace myself for any flying monkeys, horses or fences as I leave for work today.

*Amy

No comments: