Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Live from New York...

...I'm Amy Flaherty!

First time to the Big Apple and I had 36 hrs. to soak in the the experience and street smells too.Right now I'm just outside of Albany for a week-long training (and it's 95-degrees & humid), so I built in some personal time to route through NYC and take the Amtrak train along the Hudson River north. I stayed right at Times Square and saw a lot of the area in my short visit. I don't normally notice how short I am, but John D. Rockefeller kindly reminded me. I must have looked a bit serious while checking out some stores on 5th Ave. & listening to an iPod, because I was actually asked for directions!

Two highlights for the trip: 1)fulfilling a dream of seeing a Broadway show. I used to listen to musical soundtracks and wonder what it'd be like. It was given that I got a ticket for "Wicked." Of course I read the book but the "Wizard of Oz" has always been my favorite movie, and yes, I own every Oz ornament Hallmark has made. The emotional response I had to being at the Gershwin Theatre totally surprised me. I cried for the moment, for the amazing production, and for a vibrant theatre community. I wish Andy could have joined me; I think it's a show he'd appreciate too! The other highlight was reconnecting with my high school friend, Karl. We probably hadn't seen each other in ten years! He graciously took the time to hang out with me a few times tocatch-up, and he also gave a lot of "T.A." for my travels. Karl recommended I use Priceline.com for a hotel booking and it was great deal. It was also a typical New York room: small! The City has left me wanting more. An actual vacation must happen in the future. I depart for AK early Friday morning and I estimate the trip to take 22 hours. Then Andy & I will be together again...just in time for the State Fair!
*Amy

1 comment:

löki gale said...

That was your first time to NY! Oooo! Last time I went my ma took me to a ballet! Next time, schedule a bit of time for a show! They are fantastic.

lgt